Bassendean War Memorial

Published on Saturday, 23 January 2021 at 9:00:00 AM

The Bassendean War Memorial was erected 100 years ago after considerable community fundraising and committee meetings.

Originally known as the West Guildford Soldiers’ Memorial, it was designed and made by two ex soldiers who were present at the opening; Harry Wales and Lawrence Gilles.

In November 1917, Mr Charles Wicks chaired the first committee meeting to plan for a memorial.  Some suggestions included a clock and sun dial. Many meetings were held and various fundraising efforts undertaken to provide a suitable commemoration for the soldiers of the district who died in the “Great War”, paying the ultimate sacrifice.

The memorial was unveiled by Governor General, His Excellency Sir Francis Newdegate, on the sunny afternoon of 10 December 1920.

In 1971 the War Memorial was relocated from its original location on the corner of Wilson Street and Perth Road to further east along Old Perth Road to allow the original Bassendean Memorial Library to be built.

In September 2014, the Bassendean War Memorial was relocated to the BIC Reserve where it is now visible by passing vehicles and trains and its prominent position reflects its importance as a unifying monument, respected by all.

For one hundred years, the Bassendean War Memorial has represented civic pride and has drawn crowds from near and far at the annual Anzac Day and Remembrance Day services to honour veterans and those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

 

 

Back to All News