Daylesford House (c.1920)

Daylesford HouseThis is the gracious home built for Cyril Jackson who came to Western Australia in 1897 as the State’s first Director General of Education with a mission to reform the education system.

He was influential in the growth of state schools, advocated compulsory education for all children, introduced a standard curriculum and ensured qualified teachers were employed in all state schools.

He was also the first Chairman of the West Guildford Roads Board, the inaugural meeting of which was held in the billiard room of Jackson’s house on 12 July 1901. Official gazettal of the new municipality followed a week later on 19 July 1901.

At the time of its formation the small township of West Guildford contained only 34 houses and 180 residents.