Cuming Smith (later CSBP) Fertiliser Factory (c.1913)

Cumming SmithOne of the first and most influential industries in West Guildford/ Bassendean was the factory opened 30 April 1910 to process inexpensive chemical fertiliser for the expanding farming regions. The factory attracted workers and their families to Bassendean and provided a major source of employment in the town.

The photograph shows one of the processes in superphosphate recovery. Records show that surrounding residents often complained about the ‘rotten egg’ sulphur odours produced during the manufacture of the fertiliser. CSBP closed its doors in the late 1970s and the factory buildings were levelled.

The site is now incorporated into Bassendean’s Tonkin Business Park.